A classic car brings nostalgic memories to action. The attachment has grown over the years and you, me & everybody else have become fond of them.
The special memory of driving it for the first time or taking it out on weekends. Father making changes to it in a garage as per his liking and brother bumping it across the road.
The memories are always special and hold a special place in our hearts.
That is why classic cars hold special regard. And for that reason, they need special consideration.
And to make the memories fresh, if you’re planning for classic car restoration, then you’re on a right track.
Things you should consider before going for restoration:
Types Of Car Restoration
Depending upon your need, decide the type of restoration suitable for you. To give you some details, here are a few popular ones:
- Body-off Restoration - Body-off restoration simplest the removal of chassis, frames, and unbolting the body.
- A Complete Restoration - A complete restoration includes all the minor and major developments.
- Show Car Restoration - This restoration is specific for some models and very model-specific in nature.
- Driver restoration - The most basic restoration of all. This is done to enhance the functionality of the classic car and improve the basic functioning of the machine.
- Body Rubber Bushing - Only at certain places, car bodies are attached to frames with rubber bushings. After a few years, these bushings become weak and brittle and start to break apart. This makes the car squeak, rattles, and sag in specific areas. You may even see worn body mounts by simply peeking under the car. You can lift the car body up with the help of four to five individuals together to get a good look underneath.
- Mechanical Resurrection - This is again an enhancement of the muscle parts. A good restoration indeed.
- Cosmetic Resurrection - This is the most important restoration if you need your classic car to look the best. Cosmetics repairs do not include mechanical or operational repairs, but defects that are visual, such as chips, rust, paint scratches, cracked windshield, etc. Cosmetic restoration includes complete bodywork and paint
To help you out better, we have compiled a detailed list of types of class car restoration.
Follow These Steps To Classic Car Disassembly:
1. The Trim
This is the first item that you should dismantle. Get your wrenches and cranks, and start to remove those bolts and nuts. Use a chisel wherever required (rusty bolts).
Get some specialized trim removal tools if you find it difficult. They hardly cost $10-20.
2. The Glass & Interior
After removing the exterior trim, the next target should be the most fragile part of the car — the glass.
The rear windows might give a little trouble while you’re trying to remove them, but the windshield would be easy. So, be careful.
The rest will be easily followed.
After the glass, hop into the interiors. Get the door panels removed and then the hardest part, the door trim panels. Refer to manuals for this task. It is more difficult than you can imagine.
3. Suspension, Wring, And The Rest
Be cautious in this step. Start with disassembly or rear suspension and then the front. The classic car suspension varies greatly from the current ones.
Then start with the wirings. Remove the brake, engine, and dash harnesses.
Thereafter, go for the rest of the parts and then the body. Remember that this process might take days. So be patient!
A&G Customs Is The Way To Go
With all the levels of modifications required, you need experts to get your job done. A&G Customs had been in the business for years. The results and testimonials are proof to that.
Get your job done with us with utmost perfection. Give a call today 215 669 3072.